Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 5: Wall to Pierre, SD

Mileage: 117 Miles
Temperature at start: 72
Temperature at finish:  100
Sunny skys with strong winds - favorable most of the day


Today was going to the longest day of the trip. 117 miles across rolling land with sharp rollers and one long climb at the end. We loaded early and ate a pretty good breakfast at a barbeque joint next to the hotel.

I was sagging today and Erin and Bob were both planning on new personal records for distance in a day. The ride started with an 11 mile section of chip seal ... but for the most part they enjoyed 70 miles of mostly tailwind to get their average mph way up!

This is definitely America's heartland - these farmers here feed the world. It was farm after farm of corn , livestock, and wheat. Definitely amber waves of grain.
Amber waves of grain

One time while I was waiting on Bob and Erin to roll through I pulled into a deserted turn off. After sitting there for a few minutes I looked back behind me and saw that a herd of horses had ambled over to see what I was doing ...

The grass is greener on the other side of the fence
Bob and Erin were zipping ahead of the tailwind so quickly that I missed some photo ops because they were upon me so quick.

Bob cruising at mile 40

Erin spent the day riding with Karen from ABB
At mile 77 the route turned right and favorable wind became very unfavorable and the temperature jumped into the upper 90's. At 11:30 I saw a 102 reading on the van's thermometer.

Erin was at the front of the ride for most of the day, but the heat, wind, and terrain got her at 102 miles. A new PR nonetheless! (Personal record). I put her in the van with me and we raced up to find Bob. He was at the 108 mile mark and he and everyone he was with were out of water. Erin and I filled up a lot of bottles for the fast folks who were 30 miles out in front.

Bob at mile 113
 It was an important day for Bob - he dedicated the day to his sister-in-law, Coral, who is going through treatments for Leukemia. Despite the heat and the long climb to finish the day, he succeeded in the journey. We stayed at the Governor's Inn and due to bad internet connection, I'm just now getting caught up.

Tomorrow, Bob and I will ride the 83 miles to Chamberlain, SD.

No comments:

Post a Comment